August 2, 2015 § Leave a comment
Variation of “Bertha“; or a diminutive form of names like “Alberta”, “Roberta“, etc.
VARIATIONS and NICKNAMES:
Alberta, Albertina, Albertine, Auberta, Berchta, Berdi, Berdie, Berdy, Berdina, Berhta, Berit, Bert, Bertha, Berthe, Berti, Bertie, Bertille, Bertina, Berty, Birdi, Birdie, Birdy, Burti, Burtie, Burty, Elberta, Elberte, Elbertina, Elbertine, Elbertyna, Hrothbeorhta, Hrothberta, Hrothbertina, Hrothnerta, Perda, Perde, Perdi, Perdie, Perdy, Pirda, Pirde, Pirdi, Pirdie, Pirdy, Purda, Purde, Purdi, Purdie, Purdy, Perchta, Perta, Perte, Perti, Pertie, Perty, Pirta, Pirte, Pirti, Pirtie, Pirty, Purta, Purte, Purti, Purtie, Purty, Roberta, Robertia, Robertina, etc.
REFERENCES IN LITERATURE:
– Great Aunt Berta, Lily’s elderly relative and Becky’s sister, who is aware their nephew died of heart failure months ago, but has kept the news from her sister, in Sleeping Arrangements, by Laura Cunningham (published 1989, set in the 1950s).
– Berta Behrens (1850-1912), German novelist who published under the pen name “Wilhelmine (W.) Heimburg”.
– Berta Bojetu Boeta (1946-1997), Slovene actress, poet, and writer.
– Berta Golob (b. 1932), Slovene librarian, poet, teacher, and writer.
– Berta Hader (1890-1976), American children’s book author and illustrator.
– Berta Ruck (1878-1978), British memoirist and novelist.
– Berta Zuckerkandl (1864-1935), Austrian critic, journalist, and writer.
Leave a Reply