August 6, 2014 § 7 Comments
Alternate version of “Clare”, from the Latin name “Clarus”, meaning “clear” or “bright”.
VARIATIONS and NICKNAMES:
Chiara, Claire, Clare, Claretta, Claribel, Clarice, Clarinda, Clarissa, Clarette, Kiara, Kiera, Klare, Klara, Klarissa, etc.
REFERENCES IN LITERATURE:
– Clara, the “honest and quiet; but heavy, mindless, and unimpressible” German woman Mr. Rochester took as a mistress following Céline Varens’ betrayal, in Jane Eyre, 1847, by Charlotte Bronte.
– Clara, Rosamond Carey’s mother, who sends her to stay with three maiden cousins, in “Little Button-Rose”, from A Garland for Girls, by Louisa May Alcott, 1887.
– Clara Carey, wife of Dr. Carey, David Langston’s dearest friend, in The Harvester (1911) by Gene Stratton Porter.
– Clara, Ella Carver’s cousin, for whose baby she buys pretty little things made by Almira Miller, in “May Flowers”, from A Garland for Girls.
– Clara Harrington, a girl who unknowingly assisted in the trick on Tilly Drake, in “An April Fool”, from Nora Perry’s A Flock of Girls and Boys (1895).
– Clara Jeffreys (née Partridge), one of Augusta Elton’s friends from Bath that she cites as an example of how married women always give up their pursuit of music, in Jane Austen’s Emma (1815).
[…] or Jew, Heroines, fabulous or true, Ruths, Rebeccas, Rachels, Sarahs, Charlottes, Harriets, Emmas, Claras, Auroras, Helens, Daphnes, Delias, Martias, Portias, and Cornelias, Nannys, Fannys, Jennys, Hettys, […]
[…] Charlotte, Christina, Clara, Cleopatra, Daphne, Diana, Dorothy, Harriet, Mercy, Pearl, and […]
[…] girls, they list Alma, Blanche, Clara, Cora, Edith, Effie, Florence, Hattie, Maggie, Ruth, and […]
[…] – Amanda Rosie 1920s – Leola Jennie 1930s – Winifred Vera 1940s – Bettye Clara 1950s – Iris Norma 1960s – Cheri Maureen 1970s – Christie Kristine (were all the […]
[…] Aubrey, Audrey, Ava, Avery, Beatrice, Brooke, Brooklyn, Camille, Charlie, Charlotte, Chloe, Claire, Clara, Coralie, Elizabeth, Ella, Emily, Emma, Eva, Eve, Evelyn, Faith, Florence, Gabriella, Gabrielle, […]
[…] girls: Alba, Alma, Anastasia, Annie, Beatrice, Clara, Cora, Dorothy, Felicity, Florence, Frances, Gemma, Hattie, Hazel, Helen, Hilda, Ingrid, June, […]
[…] girls: Angela, Charity, Chiara, Christina, Clara, Faith, Hannah, Holly, Hope, Imani, Jemima, Joy, Lucy, Mary, Natalie, Natasha, Paloma For boys: […]