July 30, 2014 § 5 Comments
From Hebrew, meaning “God is my judge”.
VARIATIONS and NICKNAMES:
Dan, Danilo, Dannie, Danny, etc.
REFERENCES IN LITERATURE:
– Daniel (b. 1917; sometimes called “Dan“), the ninth of the dozen Gilbreth children whose upbringing is related in Cheaper By the Dozen (1948) and Belles on Their Toes (1950), written by Frank Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.
– Daniel Byrne, a local man who offers to help get Mattie packed up and on her way out of town, in Edith Wharton’s Ethan Frome (written in 1911, but set in the 1890s or first few years of the 1900s).
– Daniel Defoe (1660-1730), English author and satirist.
– Daniel Keyes (1927-2014), American author.
– Daniel Moran (b. 1947), pen name of American fantasy, science fiction, and Western author Robert E. Vardeman, who has also published under the pen names “Cliff Garnett”, “Edward S. Hudson”, “F.J. Hale”, “Jackson Lowry”, “Karl Lassiter”, “Paul Kenyon”, and “Victor Appleton”.
– Daniel Stern (1928-2007), American novelist.
– In The Merchant of Venice (1596), by William Shakespeare, the character of Shylock implies that he hopes for a wise resolution in the difficult case at hand: “A Daniel come to judgment! yea, a Daniel! / O wise young judge, how I do honour thee!”
[…] ORIGIN: From the Hebrew for “judge”, often used as a shortened version of “Daniel“. […]
[…] Maine!) 1993: Chris, Jacob, James, Joshua, Matthew, Michael, and Tyler 1994-95: Austin, Chris, Daniel, Jacob, James, Joshua, Michael, Tyler and William 1996: Austin, Chris, Daniel, Jacob, Jose, Joshua, […]
[…] Cameron, Ethan, Jake, Jamie, Joseph, Joshua, Lewis, Luke, and William Best-Behaved Boy Names: Adam, Daniel, Harry, Jack, Jacob, James, Oliver, Ryan, Samuel, and […]
[…] Brayden, Caleb / Kaleb, Cameron, Carter, Charles, Chase, Christopher, Cole, Colton, Connor, Cooper, Daniel, David, Declan, Dominic, Dylan, Edward, Eli, Elijah, Elliot, Emmett, Ethan, Evan, Felix, Gabriel, […]
[…] For girls: Amelia, Anna, Ava, Ella, Emily, Grace, Lucy, Olivia, Sophia, Sophie For boys: Charlie, Daniel, Ethan, Harry, Jack, Jacob, James, Noah, Oliver, […]