August 4, 2014 § 10 Comments
Germanic, meaning “universal”, or “nurse”. Sometimes used as a diminutive of “Emily“, “Emilia”, etc.
VARIATIONS and NICKNAMES:
Em, Ema, Emmalyn, Emelina, Emeline, Emmaline, Emmeline, Emmie, Emmy, Ima, etc.
REFERENCES IN LITERATURE:
– Emma Crawley, one of the Rev. Bute Crawley’s daughters in Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray (published in 1847-48, but set in the 1810s-20s).
– Emma Knightley, the youngest of John and Isabella’s two daughters, the baby of the family, in Jane Austen’s Emma (1815).
– Emma Woodhouse, “handsome, clever, and rich” young match- and mistake-making heroine of Emma.
– Emma Goldman (1869-1940), Russian-American activist and writer.
– Emma Lazarus (1849-1887), American poet.
[…] Diminutive of “Amelia“, “Emma“, “Emilia”, “Emily“, […]
[…] form of “Emma“, “Emmy“, “Emily“, and other names beginning with […]
[…] odd one out again!) 2001: Alexis, Ashley, Emily, Hannah, Madison, and Taylor 2002: Alexis, Emily, Emma, Hannah, Kayla, and Madison 2003: Alexis, Emily, Emma, Hannah, and Madison 2004: Alyssa, Ashley, […]
[…] Holly, Jade, Laura, and Olivia Best-Behaved Girl Names: Abigail, Alice, Amy, Charlotte, Emily, Emma, Georgia, Grace, Hannah, and […]
[…] James, Lori, Patricia, Raymond, Robert, and Susan. – Historian: Adrienne, Caroline, Emma, Henry, Herbert, and Theodore. – Insurance Salesperson: Brent, Clark, Dalton, Garrett, Mac, […]
[…] or Jew, Heroines, fabulous or true, Ruths, Rebeccas, Rachels, Sarahs, Charlottes, Harriets, Emmas, Claras, Auroras, Helens, Daphnes, Delias, Martias, Portias, and Cornelias, Nannys, Fannys, Jennys, […]
[…] Amanda, Amy, Anna, Ashley, Barbara, Betty, Brittany, Deborah, Debra, Dorothy, Elizabeth, Emily, Emma, Hannah, Heather, Helen, Isabella, Jennifer, Jessica, Karen, Kimberley, Linda, Lisa, Madison, […]
[…] Brooklyn, Camille, Charlie, Charlotte, Chloe, Claire, Clara, Coralie, Elizabeth, Ella, Emily, Emma, Eva, Eve, Evelyn, Faith, Florence, Gabriella, Gabrielle, Georgia, Grace, Hailey, Hanna / Hannah, […]
[…] included are: Abigail, Andrew, Anna, Ava, Emma, Eric, George, Harry, Helena, Henry, Isabella, Jacob, James, Jesse, John, Luke, Matilda, Molly, […]
[…] Aiden, Ariana, Audrey, Ava, Avery, Brooklyn, Caden, Carter, Chloe, Emma, Elijah, Jackson, Jayden, Leah, Logan, Mason, Noah, Sophia, and […]