May 24, 2015 § 1 Comment
Anglicization of “Inés”, the Italian or Spanish version of “Agnes“.
VARIATIONS and NICKNAMES:
Annice, Annis, Aune, Iines, Ines, Nainsi, Nance, Nancie, Nancy, Nensi, Nes, Neske, Nessie, Nessy, Nest, Nesta, Neysa, Oanez, Ynes, etc.
REFERENCES IN LITERATURE:
– Inez Carew, the actress Carrie replaces for her first big break, in Theodore Dreiser’s Sister Carrie (published in 1900; set 1889-1890s).
– Inez Baskin (1916-2007), American activist and journalist.
– Inez Hogan (1895-1973), American children’s book author and illustrator.
– Inez Holden (1903-1974), English journalist, socialite, and writer.
– Inez Haynes Irwin (1873-1970), American activist, author, and journalist who sometimes published as “Inez Haynes Gillmore”.