September 2, 2014 § Leave a comment
Alternate spelling of “Eleanor“.
VARIATIONS and NICKNAMES:
Alianor, Aliénor, Eilionoir, Eilidh, Elea, Eleanor, Eleanora, Eleanore, Elenor, Elenora, Elenore, Eleonor, Elinora, Elinore, Ella, Ellanore, Elle, Ellen, Elli, Ellie, Ellinor, Elly, Elnora, Leanora, Leonore, Lenora, Lenore, Leonor, Lore, Lorita, Nell, Nelle, Nellie, Nelly, Nonie, Nony, Noor, Noora, Nora, Norah, Noreen, Norene, Norina, etc.
REFERENCES IN LITERATURE:
– Elinor Dashwood, the practical and restrained older Dashwood sister, with “an excellent heart; — her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them”, in Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility (set between 1792-1797, published in 1811).
– Elinor Brent-Dyer (1894-1969), English children’s book writer.
– Elinor Glyn (1864-1943), English novelist and writer.
– Elinor Lyon (1921-2008), English children’s book writer.
– Elinor Mordaunt (1872-1942), pen name of English writer Evelyn May Clowes, who also wrote under the pen names “Evelyn May Mordaunt” and “Elenor Mordaunt”.
– Elinor Wylie (1885-1928), American novelist and poet.