August 27, 2014 § Leave a comment
Diminutive of “Elizabeth“.
VARIATIONS and NICKNAMES:
El, Elise, Elisheva, Elissa, Eliza, Ella, Elle, Ellie, Elly, Elsa, Else, Elsy, Elsje, Elspet, Elspeth, Elyse, Ilsa, Ilse, Isa, Lies, Liesl, Liese, Lis, Lisa, Lisbeth, Lise, etc.
REFERENCES IN LITERATURE:
– Elsie Lambert, the oldest daughter of the family, whose generous choice leads to a reconciliation, in “The Thanksgiving Guest”, from Nora Perry’s A Flock of Girls and Boys (1895).
– Elsie Lloyd, an impetuous girl whose carelessness causes trouble, in “The Egg-Boy” from A Flock of Girls and Boys.
– Elsie Finnimore Buckley (1882-1959), English writer and translator.
– Elsie Johannson (b. 1931), Swedish writer.
– Elsie Lessa (1912-2000), Brazilian journalist and writer.
– Elsie Locke (1912-2001), New Zealander activist, writer, and historian.
– Elsie J. Oxenham (1880-1960), pen name of English author Elsie Jeanette Dunkerley.