August 2, 2014 § 5 Comments
From Hebrew, meaning “who is like the Lord?”
VARIATIONS and NICKNAMES:
Maikel, Micha, Micah, Michail, Michel, Mick, Mickey, Micky, Miguel, Mika, Mikael, Mike, Mikel, Mikelo, Mikey, Mikhael, Mikhail, Mijo, Mikkel, Mikki, Misha, Miska, Mitch, Mitchell, etc.
REFERENCES IN LITERATURE:
– Michael, one of the servants in the Lorton household, in “The Youngest Miss Lorton”, from The Youngest Miss Lorton, and Other Stories by Nora Perry (1889).
– Brother Michael, the monk who cares for the garden at St. Mark’s, in The Door in the Wall (written in 1949 and set sometime between 1327-1377), by Marguerite de Angeli.
– Michael Eady, Denis Eady’s “rich Irish grocer” father, in Edith Wharton’s Ethan Frome (written in 1911, but set in the 1890s or first few years of the 1900s).
– Michael Mulligan, one of the tenants of the boarding-houses and tenements behind Grandpa Bennet’s home, in “That Ridiculous Child”, from The Youngest Miss Lorton, and Other Stories.
– Major Michael O’Dowd (called “Mick” by his wife), commander of the regiment in which George Osborne and William Dobbin go to war, in Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray (published in 1847-48, but set in the 1810s-20s).
– Michael Crichton (1942-2008), American author, director, physician, producer, and screenwriter.
– Michael Pollan (b. 1955), American activist, author, journalist, and professor.
– Michael Strange (1890-1950), pen name of American actress, playwright, and poet Blanche Oelrichs.
[…] David, James, John, Michael, and Robert 1961-65: David, James, John, and Michael 1966-67: David, James, and Michael (wow, the […]
[…] ORIGIN: The Spanish or Portuguese form of “Michael“. […]
[…] ORIGIN: Either from the Germanic “Milo”, possibly meaning “gracious” or “merciful”, or referencing the Latin word for “soldier”, or a variation of “Michael“. […]
[…] Levi, Liam, Lincoln, Logan, Luca, Lucas / Lukas, Luke, Marcus, Mason, Mateo, Mathis, Matthew, Max, Michael, Muhammad, Nathan, Nathaniel, Nicolas / Nicholas, Noah, Nolan, Oliver, Owen, Parker, Riley, Ryan, […]
[…] names, East Coast: Amir, Bryce, Cameron, Jayceon, Messiah, Michael, Nasir, Zion Boy names, West Coast: Adrian, Alfredo, Damian, Dane, Dominik, Edgar, Gael, Gerardo, […]