September 16, 2014 § 3 Comments
VARIATIONS and NICKNAMES:
Madge, Mae, Maisie, Maisy, Mame, Mamie, Margaret, Margareta, Margaretha, Margarethe, Margarita, Margaux, Marge, Margie, Margit, Margy, Margo, Margot, Marguerite, Marji, Marjorie, Marjory, May, Mayme, Maymie, Meg, Megan, Megeen, Megen, Meggie, Meggy, Meta, Metta, Midge, Mim, Mimi, Mimsie, Mimsy, Mysie, Jorey, Jori, Jorie, Peg, Pegeen, Peggie, Peggy, Peigi, Reeta, Rita, etc.
REFERENCES IN LITERATURE:
– Margery Badcock, the innocent farmer Christopher Badcock’s wife, whose young child is murdered while she is carried off by the Doones, the final outrage which causes the locals to rise up against this scourge in their midst, in Lorna Doone, by R.D. Blackmore (written in 1869, set in the 1670s-1680s).
– Margery Allingham (1904-1966), English mystery writer.
– Margery Fish (1892-1969), English gardener and writer.
– Margery Kempe (c. 1373-after 1438), English mystic and autobiographer.
– Margery Lawrence (1889-1969), English author.
– Margery Sharpe (1905-1991), English writer.
– Margery Williams (1881-1944), Anglo-American author.